Staying Focused at Juilliard

Staying Focused at Juilliard

Juilliard is always a busy place: whether it is rehearsals for workshops, essays due or concerts to prepare for, all the students are used to managing their busy schedules. Around this time however, it gets extra busy! For me, there are added rehearsals for New Dances, which is coming up fast (next week!) as well as normal classes and rehearsals. :)

So, how does one manage to stay focused with all of this going on? Here are a couple of tips that I find really work for me. Hopefully they will help you stay focused in whatever you are pursuing too! (high school, applications, etc.)

Stick to daily routines.

You can’t have high levels of focus if you don’t follow a routine that will keep you within the boundaries of your productiveness. Pay attention to sleeping and eating patterns, and plan breaks that will give you more energy to tackle your daily activities. For me, I have a morning routine that prepares me for my days, which definitely helps me to stay focused throughout the day and classes.

Give yourself some daily down time.

No matter how active and busy you are, you should make time to give your mind and body a little break. Spend some time doing things you love – maybe reading, listening to good music, reading, meditating, or whatever else relaxes and refocuses you.

Make to-do lists.

This trains your brain to stay focused and keep your energy focused on your priorities and most important tasks. It also feels great when you end the day with all tasked crossed off the list!

Keep an organized space.

Having a clean space will definitely help you stay focused because you can remove anything that can distract you from work or isn’t relevant to the task. A clean space = a clean, clear mind!

Find your purpose.

Realizing your purpose will keep you motivated and therefore keep you focused. Remember why your work matters, whether that is studying for a test or practicing a phrase. At Juilliard, all our work goes into developing our artistry and craft, and everything we do is relevant to our development. Personally, I always think about how lucky I am to be at Juilliard, and what an opportunity it is to learn and grow here. Thinking back on this always refocuses me, because I see the long-term work and learning of which everything is a part!

Relax and Focus

Relax and Focus

Do’s and Don’t’s of Staying Focused During Auditions