Relax and Focus

Relax and Focus

With the end of the semester drawing near, it can be hard for Juilliard students to stay focused, especially right after coming back from a break. It can feel like everything is suddenly coming at you at once! Right now, first-year singers are starting rehearsals for La sonnambula and preparing for the First Year Presentation. The First Year Presentation will be the first official Juilliard performance for most of us, and that can be a lot of pressure! Whenever the Juilliard life gets a bit overwhelming, I have a few things that I like to do to de-stress and regain my focus.

-Go outside. Juilliard is about a block from Central Park, and there’s no better way to recharge than to get out of the hustle of the city and into nature.

-Experience the culture. Sometimes I forget why it is that I do what I do, and then I go to the Met Opera or the NY Philharmonic or see a Broadway show and I’m reminded what I’m striving for. 

-Take some chill time. Sometimes, I need a set time where I put on the Celtic music station on Pandora and focus on something other than classical music. Sometimes you just need some Netflix!

-Be grateful. Whenever I find myself complaining about my classes, I take a second and remind myself that so many people would gladly take my place. I am so lucky to be at Juilliard, and reminding myself of that stirs up all of the excitement and love I have for music. 

-Shelby

Game Face

Game Face

Staying Focused at Juilliard

Staying Focused at Juilliard