Game Face

Game Face

I’m still basking in my Thanksgiving food coma, but Monday is here, whether I’m ready for it or not. (I’m not.) As we head into the final weeks of the semester, it’s easy to lose focus. Between papers, exams, performances, and auditions, life feels a little like this right now:

One of my teachers always reminds me that musicians are professional athletes. We train and train and train so that we can run the marathon that is a live performance. With that in mind, every time I need to accomplish a task during hectic times like this, I like to think of putting my game face on. See JLaw below for reference:

Basically, I don’t have the same amount of energy and motivation I did in September, so I have to flip on a switch for when I really need it (and save it when I don’t). For example: Italian diction exam tomorrow that I maybe haven’t studied for as much as I should have? Put the game face on and power through. Summer festival audition this week? Game face. Orchestra concert in Carnegie Hall? Major game face.

The key is conserving mental energy. As opposed to being overwhelmed by everything at once, prioritize: choose specific times to kick it into overdrive, bust out the game face, and be confident! 

Staying Focused

Staying Focused

Relax and Focus

Relax and Focus