My Journey to Juilliard

My Journey to Juilliard

A question I’m often asked about my Juilliard experience is what it takes to get in. I wish I had a magic answer—just practice this many hours a day, or just get a recommendation from this person—something to guarantee a successful application and audition. In my experience, there are no guarantees with this process; all you can do is work hard to present the very best version of yourself.

When I applied to schools for an undergraduate degree, I was set on attending a university program and thought a conservatory wasn’t the right fit for me. I was unsure if I wanted a career in music, so I explored other things: I studied math, I took classes in marketing, I looked for business internships… if you asked me where I would have ended up four years later for a master’s degree, I probably wouldn’t have guessed Juilliard. So what changed?

Somewhere around my junior year, I realized that math wasn’t going to cut it. I was constantly escaping from problem sets and exams by practicing. I had always loved music, but I had to try out a lot of other things before I decided that there was truly nothing else I could really see myself happily doing. Once I made the choice to fully pursue music, I was committed to becoming the best I could be, which meant securing the best education. I set my sights on Juilliard for a master’s degree, and I was determined to gain admission.

I’ll admit, preparing my auditions was hard work, especially after four comfortable years of undergrad, where people already knew who I was and didn’t have to prove my ability, my passion, my commitment. Thankfully, I had a solid network of teachers, family, and friends who supported me every step of the way. After a lot of hours in the practice room, a pre-screening recording, and a live audition, I finally found myself opening an acceptance letter months later. There may have been a lot of difficulties along the way, but somehow I made the journey from sitting unhappily in a Math classroom to studying at one of the best music schools in the world. It was hard work getting to Juilliard, but it was worth every minute of it.

10 Things to do in Preparation for your Audition

Preparing Your Juilliard Audition!

Preparing Your Juilliard Audition!