My Journey to Juilliard

My Journey to Juilliard

I have been performing since I was 5 years old. I started in theater.  

Here I am in the Wizard of Oz

Here I am in the Wizard of Oz

However, I didn’t start training in ballet until I was in high school. 

My first Nutcracker! 

My first Nutcracker! 

My sophomore year, I transferred to San Francisco School of the Arts as a dance major.

I studied ballet and modern dance in San Francisco for the next three years. Throughout this time, I slowly fell in love with dance. 

During the summers, I attended different dance intensives.

Lines summer intensive

Lines summer intensive

NDT summer intensive

NDT summer intensive

In 2012, the summer after my junior year of high school, I attended the Juilliard Summer Intensive. It was during that summer that I realized that Juilliard was the right place for me.

Here I am with my the other participants at Juilliard. 

Note** While many students at Juilliard have attended the summer intensive, it has no impact on one’s admission to the college program. I know several current students at Juilliard that were rejected from the summer intensive. 

During senior I devoted my time to preparing myself in the best way that I could for the audition. I auditioned for Juilliard in San Francisco in February of 2013.

In August 2013, I moved to New York to start my first year of school!

Everyone has a different journey to Juilliard. We all have varying amounts of training and experience. Some people had never taken a modern dance class before attending Juilliard, while others had only taken a limited amount of ballet. I never thought I would end up studying dance, yet here I am. Trust that the journey you are on is the right one. Juilliard has a lot to offer, but it is not the only school for dance out there. Take it one step at a time, and enjoy the process. 

Preparing Your Vocal Arts Application

Preparing Your Vocal Arts Application

Application Pointers

Application Pointers