Applying to Juilliard?!

So you wanna apply for Juilliard, do ya? Well first of all, you should pat yourself on the back for even attempting to apply for such an amazing institution. It takes courage to apply yourself, and you're doing just that by sending in your application! 

To be honest, my decision to apply was relatively last minute. I was in NYC accepting an ASCAP Award, and my high school in New Orleans (NOCCA) set up a tour for me. I kid you not, before I even got to the elevators, I fell in love with the school. I met with James Burton III, an alum and faculty member of Juilliard Jazz (and a trombonist like myself). Apparently he and others there had already heard of me and was excited to receive my audition tape.

(So, you never know, we here at Juilliard may very well already know who you are before you know that we know! Got all that?)

Jeff Instagram.jpg

In terms of advice, my number one piece of advice would have to be to be CONFIDENT in who you are as an artist. The faculty and audition judges are professionals who are no doubt confident in their artistry, so why shouldn’t you be if you’re applying to the best performing arts conservatory in the world. Be proud and honest with yourself when you apply. Good luck to all of you applicants!

Application Pointers

Application Pointers

5 Ways to Minimize Stress When Applying

5 Ways to Minimize Stress When Applying