5 Ways to Minimize Stress When Applying

5 Ways to Minimize Stress When Applying

With the deadline approaching in less than three weeks, I’m sure this is a stressful time for a lot of applicants; I know it was for me! Obviously I’m not an expert, but these are some things that helped me. 

1.      Record prescreening tapes as soon as possible! This way you leave time to re-record if you aren’t happy with something.  If your instrument does not have a prescreening requirement, it doesn’t hurt to look at your live audition repertoire requirements to begin planning your audition program.  Knowing what you are going to play can minimize a lot of stress later.

2.      Prepare and update your resume and completed repertoire list (if it is required) now, these things are difficult to do at the last minute.

3.      It is really easy and tempting to save seemingly easy parts of an application until the last possible minute, but if you think you can do it in two minutes, do it right now!

4.      Only worry about what is in your control, which is representing yourself as authentically as possible.

5.      Get rid of expectations.  This can be especially difficult if there is a specific school you are hoping to attend, but you may be putting more stress on yourself to do well in one specific audition, when really you should treat every audition the same.

Applying to Juilliard?!

A Day in the Life

A Day in the Life