These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

When living in a city as big as New York, you have to find delight in the small things to avoid getting overwhelmed. During the past few months I’ve been making an effort to pay attention to the small things that make my time at Juilliard so enjoyable:

1. The residence hall’s proximity to the school; I can leave my room at 8:50 and still get to class before it starts at 9:00.

2. Walking down the halls of the 4th floor and hearing a symphony from everyone practicing in different rooms

3. Coming out of Ear Training and hearing an actual symphony from the orchestra rehearsal down the hall.

4. The new practice room reservation system; I’m not a fan of change, but the system is amazing and prevents me from having to walk through a maze of practice rooms for an hour every day.

5. I can’t forget the curly fries from the caf:

6. That everything I need is in two buildings; all of my classes are in the school building, as well as my mailbox, the Vocal Arts office, and all of the practice rooms. The laundry room, cafeteria, health clinic, gym, and residence hall are all in the same building.

7. Living in the fine arts capital of New York; who else can walk across the street to the Met Opera, New York City Ballet, and NY Philharmonic? 

I love this bridge; it goes right onto the Lincoln Center Plaza!

8. The subway station right outside of the school; I don’t have to trek across town to get where I need to go!

9. The security; coming from one of the safest towns in the US, I was a little concerned about moving to New York, but the Upper West Side is a very nice area and the Juilliard and Lincoln Center security guards are great; I am never afraid while walking back to the residence hall.

10. A rather small thing, but something I love seeing every day: the view from my suite. It reminds me of how grateful I am to be here, and what a beautiful place I live in.

-Shelby

My Juilliard Debut

My Juilliard Debut

A Tour of Juilliard

A Tour of Juilliard