NOVA: Illuminations 2015

NOVA: Illuminations 2015

One of the incredible things about Juilliard is the wonderful variety of artistic talents in the school, and the opportunities for interdisciplinary artistic collaborations. Today, I thought I’d reflect on one of these recent projects I got to be a part of…

On October 17th and 18th, I was lucky enough to be part of an interdisciplinary project initiated by NOVA: Movement and Sound, in which we put on a live full-length show combining original music and dance. This was such a special process and performance to be a part of, as well as an opportunity to learn more about the music that happens here at Juilliard and work with peers in different classes and divisions.

NOVA: Movement and Sound is a Juilliard-student initiated collaborative group creating production style works amalgamating music and dance. It was created in November of 2014 by pianist Sylvia Jiang in collaboration with co-composer and pianist Antoine Rivard-Landry, as well as choreographers Daniel Ching, Taylor LaBruzzo, Malik Williams and Jesse Obremski. ‘Illuminations’ premiered April 19th 2015 as a half-show, and this year we presented a full-length show, expanding on the first installment of ‘Illuminations.’

I joined NOVA as a dancer for the project, and it was an incredible experience! Throughout all the rehearsals, the process was fulfilling, rich and special. Working with live music was such a treat, as well as experiencing different creative processes, and having a blast interacting with my peers all at the same time!

This year, NOVA partnered with Opportunity Music Project, an organization that provides free music lessons to children with difficult circumstances. We went and performed at OMP, as well as had some of the students attend the shows, to help inspire them to see the potential and power of art and artistic collaboration. It was very special!

Performing at Opportunity Music Project

Below is a video of from the first rehearsal of a new work created by Jesse Obremski to a musical score by Sylvia Jiang and Antoine Rivard-Landry. This is just a taste of some of the work done for the show…

The shows were very successful, and we are very grateful to all those that supported this project, and we can’t wait to put on more in the future. As you can see, Juilliard is a wonderful place to get to experience projects like this. To be able to experience the universality and potential of artistic collaboration is amazing, and hopefully you will get to experience it too, here at Juilliard!

Go Penguins!
Maddie 

How Can I Keep from Singing?

How Can I Keep from Singing?

My Juilliard Debut

My Juilliard Debut