My Juilliard Debut

My Juilliard Debut

Juilliard promised there would be ample performing opportunities, and it didn’t take long for them to deliver. I recently played in my first public performance at Juilliard as part of the Liederabend series in Paul hall, and it was an awesome experience. The Liederabend (meaning “song evening”) concerts happen about once a month and pair Juilliard singers with students in the Collaborative Piano department.

As collaborative pianists, we are often furiously tearing through new repertoire every week, but the Liederabend concerts (and their instrumental counterpart: the Sonatenabend, or “sonata evening”) allow us the luxury of time. We get to spend about a month working with a coach on a short set of songs, and this really gives us time to dig in and develop an understanding of the interplay between the text and the music.

I had a blast working with my vocal partner, Sam! We presented four songs from Mahler’s quirky and unabashedly charming Des Knaben Wunderhorn, and I really fell in love with this set by the time came to perform it.

After a month of rehearsing together and meeting for coachings with Andrew Harley twice a week, we developed an incredible sensibility to each other’s performance nuances, catching each subtle pause or breath, shaping the phrases together, and creating an atmosphere between the two of us that captured the humor of the text. Dr. Harley provided a lot of thoroughly detailed and insightful guidance that really elevated my understanding and appreciation for this repertoire.

Overall, it was an incredible experience, and I can’t wait to do it again next semester!

NOVA: Illuminations 2015

NOVA: Illuminations 2015

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things