Musicals, Opera, and Symphonies, Oh My!

Musicals, Opera, and Symphonies, Oh My!

Everyone knows that Lincoln Center and Broadway are the heart of New York’s fine arts scene, but few know how affordable they can really be. When I came to Juilliard, I was so excited about seeing great performances, until I thought about how much they would cost. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out all of the great discounts that I receive as a Juilliard student! I’ve been taking full advantage of these (probably a little too much; my bank account isn’t looking too happy) and I don’t feel like I am excluded as a college student.

First, the Metropolitan Opera:

I saw two shows here thi s past week: Anna Bolena and Turandot. I bought student rush tickets from the Met Box Office and was able to get a fantastic orchestra seat. The Vocal Arts department at Juilliard also has a ton of connections and they are able to get us free tickets at least once a week. Free!!

I also used my handy Juilliard ID to buy rush tickets for The King and I. It’s right next door! (Can you tell how excited we are to meet Kelli O’Hara?? She’s the one in the hat.)

While I haven’t bought a ticket yet, the NY Philharmonic offers Student Rush tickets up to 10 days in advance and (so I’ve heard) they often have free tickets for Juilliard students. 

This past week, a friend and I went to the MoMA, where Juilliard students get in for free. Free admission! To the MoMA!! I still can’t believe how cool all of this is.

I’m barely scratching the surface will all of these. I’m planning on using my ID to its full potential this semester, while my schedule is still pretty light. I’m looking forward to the NY Phil!

-Shelby

Stay Human!

Stay Human!

How's Your Semester Going?

How's Your Semester Going?