This Week in Orchestra Rehearsals

This Week in Orchestra Rehearsals

New Juilliard Ensemble

This is an ensemble that performs mainly premiers, so the music is very interesting to play and definitely interesting to listen to! The fist concert of the year was last weekend and the pieces I played on were a lot of fun.  I played flute, alto flute, piccolo, recorder, and the head joints of my flute, alto flute, and piccolo.  Almost everyone had a box of assorted whistles, which they were responsible for playing in addition to their actual instruments.    

All of my instruments ft. Matt Wolford, the amazing Manager for NJE!

Wind Orchestra

This is part of the Juilliard Orchestra.  It is a large wind chamber group and this concert is being conducted by Patricia Rogers, principal bassoonist of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra.  

Rep Class

This is my favorite class.  It is a performance class where Mark Gould conducts winds, brass, and percussion in major orchestral works.  

AXIOM

This orchestra performs 20th and 21st century works, so it is new music but not quite as new as the music in the New Juilliard Ensemble.  It is new enough where I am playing flute and doubling on slide whistle for a piece.  

Lab Orchestra

This is an orchestra conducted by student conductors under the guidance of Alan Gilbert, who is present at all of the rehearsals.

As you can see, orchestra is a huge part of the curriculum here and we spend the bulk of our time every week in rehearsal! 

Batsheva in New York

Batsheva in New York

A Day in the Life - Featuring the Juilliard Jazz Orchestra