It Don't Mean a Thing if It Ain't Got That Pre-Swing

Oh, boy! If you happened to miss last week's concert, you missed one for the history books. Granted, I've only been a student a little over a year, but I've gotten many great reviews of the jazz orchestra from quite experienced audience members.

I personally enjoyed every second of it. I sang (with my voice) on a song entitled “’Taint So, Honey, ‘Taint So” made famous by Bing Crosby. It was funny because I sang on the very first concert of the year last year as well! It was so much fun, and a relief because I remembered the words, haha.  In my opinion, you have to at least attempt to enjoy the music you're making and have fun with it. Jazz is a dance music. And if we, the musicians, can't have fun with it, how can we expect the audience to? When the audience members see us getting' down, then they know it's okay for them to let loose and enjoy the musical offering.

I'm from New Orleans, so it's in my blood to find the groove in everything. Playing with such skilled musicians made it that much easier for me to get my groove on on stage. It was interesting to see and hear that even though we tried to play the music as closely to how we heard it on the recordings as possible, the personalities of the Juilliard Jazz Orchestra shone through as well. The masters knew what they were doing when they composed and arranged this timeless music. I just can not wait for the next concert! (We'll be doing the music of the Count Basie Band on Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 7:30 pm!)

I couldn't pull out my phone and record the concert while I was playing, but here is a little video and picture from our soundcheck of the trumpet section you know and love:

A Third Year's Perspective feat. Eliza Lanham

Batsheva in New York

Batsheva in New York