Batsheva in New York

Batsheva in New York

One of the coolest things about Juilliard is living in New York…the city is so full of life, excitement and creativity. The other thing it is full of is amazing shows and theaters that bring in incredible companies to perform.

Today (October 4) I went to see Batsheva – The Young Ensemble performing DECADANCE by Ohad Naharin at the Joyce Theater. Batsheva is a contemporary dance company based in Tel Aviv, Israel, and it is my absolute favorite company!

Watching the dancers was such a privilege – their articulation, intention, athleticism, artistry and authenticity was awe-inspiring. Ohad’s choreography is innovative, human and bold, and it commands your attention. He has such a unique perspective and gift and it was so cool to witness the movement play out on stage.

There is one moment in the show where the ensemble members wandered down into the audience and pulled audience members up onto the stage to dance with them…I was pulled up! I was dancing gaga (a form of modern dance) with the Ensemble onstage and it was a dream-come true! One of my aspirations is to one-day dance with Batsheva, so it was such a surreal and special moment that I will never forget!

It was also neat to see Kyle Scheurich (graduated ’14) dance Ohad’s work, being that they are both alumni of the Juilliard School. The Juilliard community is just the COOLEST!

This is just one example of the amazing experiences (and shows) that New York has to offer. Living in the heart of it is an incredible opportunity and I am so grateful to be living here and attending Juilliard!

Maddie

It Don't Mean a Thing if It Ain't Got That Pre-Swing

This Week in Orchestra Rehearsals

This Week in Orchestra Rehearsals