For the first time in forever…
So… The sun came out yesterday. It’s been a hot minute since thats happened haha… So as I’m sure you can imagine it was quite the damper on our day when after getting over the elation that the sun brought upon us we all realized that we would all be trapped inside for the entire day in rehearsals. It was certainly a struggle to stay committed to everything that day, but in the end we all pulled through, knowing that there would be many more sunny days to come.
Though this experience does bring into view an interesting and important conversation. That being the topic of how do we balance our time between our artistic, academic, and personal pursuits. This is important because burnout is very real, and therefore doing everything that we can to avoid it is of the utmost importance. That being said, not every hour of the day can be dedicated to “me time,” so I do my best to maintain a balance in my day so that I can actually accomplish all the things I need to get done while still feeling like a real human being at the same time! On that happy note, I present to you my official “Top 5 methods for getting things done while still feeling like a real human being.”
1. Give 100% of 30%. - This basically means that if for whatever reason I’m only able to give 30% on any particular day, I should give 100% of 30% percent. We can’t always be expected to be running at 100%, but I think that it’s absolutely fair to give all that we can!
2. Naps are serious business. - This basically means that rest time is something that should be acted upon with complete and utter commitment. If I have a precious hour to spare, I need to SLEEP. Not check tumblr, not watch youtube, not peruse instagram. I need to catch those REM cycles while I can, because I know that I’ll be all the better for it afterwards.
3. Seize the moment. - Have you ever suddenly felt this really strong urge to clean absolutely everything in sight? Yeah, so basically this method works by making sure that I follow that urge as opposed to just waving at it as it passes by.
4. Organize, organize, organize! - My favorite app on my phone is the calendar app. My second favorite app is the reminders app. By setting everything up to run like an intricate piece of clockwork I can sleep easy by night and breath easy by day.
5. If the sun is shining, picnic! - Probably the most important point on this list to be quite honest. Sunshine is in pretty limited supply around here, so when it’s available, take advantage!
All in all, I think it’s important to just go with your intuition and sense out day to day what your body, mind, and heart might need to get through the day while taking advantage of all that life has to offer. On that note, carpe diem!
Juilliard Dance 2020