A Time for Reflection

A Time for Reflection

Well friends, here we are. It’s the end of the first semester, and as I finish up the last few things on my to-do list, I’ve already begun piling on to the to-do list for next semester. It’s funny how seemingly no matter how much free time we have, something comes in to fill it. Which, really, I suppose is for the best. I’m happy to say that this semester I filled my free time with things that have ultimately enriched the quality of my life, and broadened my knowledge of the world. I’m also lucky to have spent my first semester surrounded by some of the brightest and most dedicated people I know, and I look forward to continuing my work with them in the next semester and in the years to come. This semester has been full of ups and downs, but I thought that I’d take a moment to reflect on a few of the ups of the past four months.

1.      October Choreographic Workshop. - Getting to work with an entirely new group of dancers for my piece in this years October Choreographic Workshop was an absolutely stellar experience. This piece required a lot of late nights and tweaking, but in the end I was incredibly happy with the result and immeasurably proud of my dancers and the effort that they had put into the piece.

alex1.jpg

2.      Dance Composition II. -  This class has taught me so much more about life and the world than I thought it ever would. I think that fascinating thing that this class taught me was that everything is technical. Emotion, story, & artistry are all commonly referred to as these ineffable things that are at the source of great art, and yet in this class I’ve learned that how we perceive these things is purely technical, and with that knowledge we can work to better fine-tune and clarify the messages and meaning we put into our art.

alex2.jpg

3.      Those precious few good-weather days. - For real though… what a gift. New York City is fun and all… but you can only get so far when it’s 7 degrees outside and hailing. Ok.. so perhaps I’m being a bit dramatic, but you get the point. When the planets align just right, and you have the day to go frolic through Central Park like some sort of magical wood nymph, well, there’s really nothing better than that. In my book a good day trip consists of a visit to at least 6 different Dunkin’ Donuts locations, and with the weather we’ve been having lately, that’s simply not been a possibility! It’s with that in mind that I look back fondly upon those days of sunshine, donuts, and joy.

alex3.jpg

4.      Choreocomp. - My experience with the Choreographers & Composers program was absolutely fantastic, and I count myself to be incredibly blessed to have gotten the chance to work with the people who ended up being in my group. Our composer was utterly brilliant, and the amount of energy that having live music brought to the piece was truly thrilling. I thought we ended up with a fantastic piece, and it’s something that I’m sure I will continue to look back warmly upon as the years go by.

alex4.jpg

5.      Working as an RA in the Residence Hall. - This job is a new position for me this year, but it’s been an extraordinarily fulfilling position to be in. I deeply value the many connections I’ve made thus far through this position, and I feel very lucky to be able to work with such an incredible team of people here in the Res Hall!

alex5.jpg

~Alexander Sargent~

Juilliard Dance 2020

Semester close – Reflecting on the first half of the year

Applications, Essays, Deadlines - Oh My!