Thanksgiving Filipino Style in New Jersey!

Obviously, we do not celebrate Thanksgiving in the Philippines so this extra holiday was a welcome addition for me aside from Christmas. For the past 2 and a half years since arriving in America, I have spent Thanksgiving with my aunt’s family in New Jersey. I truly look forward to spending time with them during this holiday because this is a time when things begin to feel tiresome for me in the training and so this is a welcome opportunity for me to get away from New York City for a couple of days.

We don’t prepare Turkey for Thanksgiving. Instead, we substitute it with a variety of meats each year. This year we went with pork belly!

Pork Belly!

Pork Belly!

While my uncle was in the process of preparing a special home-made desert (Leche flan!) which is made of mostly egg yolk, he had a lot of left over egg whites. My cousin then made frittatas using them!

Frittatas with spinach and cheddar cheese

Aside from pork belly and frittatas, we also had some sushi because we just like them.

My two cousins sharing food with each other.

After having a hearty meal, some of my aunts went to some of the malls in New Jersey to catch the first wave of the “Black Friday Sale.” The rest of us stayed at home. Some of them played mahjong while I watched “The Godfather.”

And so that’s how my Thanksgiving went!

REGINA DE VERA

GROUP 48

QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

Application Season… The Most Festive Time of the Year!

Thanksgiving in Montreal

Thanksgiving in Montreal