Application Season… The Most Festive Time of the Year!

alex1.gif

Looking back, I realize that it’s been two entire years since I went through the whole college application submission debacle. While I’m glad that point of my life has past, I also now in hindsight realize that the process gave me a lot to reflect on regarding who I was as a person and what I wanted from my life.

I found that my college application process really put a lot into perspective. When I looked at spending upwards of $400 dollars applying for various colleges, I knew that I was really committed to pursuing dance not only as a physical art form but also intellectually. Attending a dance program at a college such as Juilliard gives you not only the technical training, but also the background in dance history, anatomy, stagecraft, and liberal arts. (To name a few.) But even then, each college offers these things in a slightly different format. Some places might require you to focus more on math and science than you would like, or technique classes could be focused on the more commercial aspects of dance as opposed being more concert dance oriented. With all this in mind I remember there being a lot of research involved. Research into various colleges and programs, and research into myself. 

alex2.gif

One thing I’d definitely have liked to inform myself from two years ago is that I don’t need to apply to six different schools. That… was a bit overkill. I had ought to have simply narrowed it down to my top three schools and worked from there. All I ultimately did was make things more complicated for myself. Though then again answering what was essentially the same essay prompt six different times really helped me to clarify my thoughts regarding my ambitions, artistic preferences, and academic interests. So I suppose that ultimately the whole ordeal served me and gave me lots of helpful information about myself that I otherwise might not have been privy to.

Though I guess the biggest irony ended up being that I thought my days of applying to things were over. If anything, I feel like I have to go through the application process for various things even more often than I did when applying to colleges! Applying for jobs, for grants, for summer programs, to choreograph pieces, for extensions, for hosting programs & events, the list of things that require applying to just goes on and on. I suppose that the sooner we learn to just accept and apply ourselves (haha) to our applications, the sooner we can get on with it all and then go get caught up on Stranger Things!

alex3.gif

~Alexander Sargent~

Juilliard Dance 2020

TIME'S UP...SUBMIT THAT APP!  

TIME'S UP...SUBMIT THAT APP!  

Thanksgiving Filipino Style in New Jersey!