Mid-semester, Midterms, Middle of Tech Week

ryan1.gif

Welcome back to the blog! It’s hard to believe this year is already more than half over. The middle of the semester means Thanksgiving break is right around the corner, but it also means a lot of stress. The mid-semester, midterms, and in my case, middle of tech week all fell on the same week! Fittingly, I thought I’d talk about managing all of these things!

Scheduling, Scheduling, Scheduling!

ryan2.gif

At a school like Juilliard, scheduling is the name of the game! Our school is very small but has a lot of performances each year which means students often have to balance a lot of things. Vocal arts students get emailed schedules each week which tell us our changing appointments and classes. Students are usually in class from 9 or 10am until 6pm with the possibility of rehearsals after 6pm (depending on what you are rehearsing for). On occasion, I meet with my advisor who will help me to better my time management skills with 30-minute coaching sessions. These have proven to be very helpful in my day to day life.

Studying, Sleep, and Social life

ryan3.gif

Studying, Sleeping, and a Socializing. I found throughout this challenging week that you can do it all with a little bit of strategic planning. Oftentimes I find myself with short breaks in between my scheduled daily events. I find that if I try to maximize that time, I can accomplish more in a day! For example: I know it’s not smart to start an hour-long homework assignment in a 15-minute break, so I try to accomplish smaller tasks like sending important emails or planning for the rest of my day. I find that even though I have two or three hours less free time each day, I can get some small things out of the way and clear up my weekends or after-class time for relaxing and decompressing from the day!

Taking Care ME!

ryan4.gif

When life gets tough, it’s easy to put your personal needs in hold! I found it really helpful to schedule times in my day to relax. Maximizing time is great, but so is allowing for your body to catch up. This helped me to reduce my stress level and be more productive later in the evening and avoid crashing. It is impossible to succeed in school and in rehearsals when you don’t have enough sleep or you aren’t eating enough! Taking time to check in with myself has helped tremendously in managing my stress.

Creativity is Complicated

Creativity is Complicated

WHEN IT HAPPENS ALL AT ONCE

WHEN IT HAPPENS ALL AT ONCE