Hitting the Wall

Hitting the Wall

We’re starting to approach the end of the semester, but most of us are already running on fumes after weeks of concerts and exams and recordings.  It’s hard to stay motivated with so many obligations and the promise of a break so near, but instead of burrowing under the covers and hibernating my problems away, here’s what I do to keep inspired.

1. Listen to my friends. Or better yet, play with them! We spend so much time by ourselves, locked up in our own tiny practice rooms, and if we are playing with other people, it’s almost always for a rehearsal. Even if there doesn’t seem to be any time, it’s always refreshing to get together with friends and perform for each other or play something purely for fun.

2. Observe other art forms. Seeing other artists at work broadens my perspective and reminds me that there’s a whole other world out there! There are so many concerts and free (or discounted) shows in the city. We’re incredibly lucky to go to a conservatory with music, dance, and theater, and watching my peers working so passionately on their own art forms gives me inspiration that I can apply to mine.

Going to concerts doesn’t have to mean just classical ones, either!

3. Relax! Sometimes it’s easy to lose motivation just from being burnt out. If I force myself to work harder when I simply can’t, I get absolutely nowhere. It’s refreshing to hop on the subway and explore the city or just spend the day sleeping in--we all need a break from time to time!

mei2.gif
Artist Block

Artist Block

Creativity is Complicated

Creativity is Complicated