WHEN IT HAPPENS ALL AT ONCE

WHEN IT HAPPENS ALL AT ONCE

regina1.gif

How does a Juilliard Drama student swim in a sea of work within a 13-hour day schedule? We just wrapped up our third-year production of Caryl Churchill’s Top Girls last October 22, 2017. The week after, we began rehearsals for our next project, Queens Boulevard by Charles “Chuck” Mee. Currently, we have just wrapped up our table work for the said play and we begin to work on our feet this week. This week we are also expected to share our political speeches in front of the entire Drama Division, put up our last Shakespeare scene for the Shakespeare Scene Study slot and begin preparing our first scenes for the Michael Kahn Scene Study classes.

Here are some tactics I use to get by:

Begin preparing early
I think procrastination is a waste of my time. I believe in reading the play early, working on the play early and learning my lines early. This way, I leave breathing room for the play to work on my heart and soul and allow it time to seep into my bones and become a part of my nature. Procrastination leads to over-working.

Get some sleep
Preparing early also allows me to plan my schedule ahead so I don’t cram everything into one day and lose sleep. The earlier I prepare, the more I can also allot time for self-care, which includes sleep. Being well-rested helps me go through the day from a place of openness and presence rather than the fatigue and bitterness that may result from lack of rest.

Plan and use your breaks wisely
We have a lot of things going on in our third year of training, but the good thing is we have a lot more breaks than in second year. This leaves us time to rehearse our scenes with our scene partners, learn our lines, practice our political speeches or songs, or whatever we want to do.

Take care of your soul
This training takes a lot out of us. It requires a lot of courage and vulnerability. Throughout the years, I have sought practices that revive and replenish my soul to prevent things from accumulating and exploding.

regina2.gif

REGINA DE VERA
GROUP 48
QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

Mid-semester, Midterms, Middle of Tech Week

World’s Most Uneventful Halloween! (WITH GIFS!)