Autumn Approaches

Autumn Approaches

As we settle more into the school year and the autumn season starts approaching, special events have been popping up across school and the city. The trees have started changing colors, and even though the weather still as sticky and humid and summery as ever, it’s gradually starting to feel like fall in New York City. Last week was the Mid-Autumn festival, a harvest festival observed by China, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, and Malaysia which celebrates gathering, thanksgiving, and prayer. The holiday also goes by the Moon Festival because it falls on the night of a full moon. Since the moon is brightest and roundest on this day, it is said to symbolize the harvest and family coming together. We celebrated with moon cakes--one of my favorite treats growing up!

mei1.jpg

Canadian Thanksgiving also occurred recently, and although it is certainly less boisterous than American Thanksgiving, it has still put me in a mindset of gratitude and optimism for the semester. This season has been a good time for gathering with friends and celebrating little moments. Since October and November call for pumpkin-flavored everything, baking and consuming as many pumpkin spice goodies has been of utmost importance as well. My roommate and I have a wall calendar that we like to fill with daily holidays to make every day special--some recent ones have included National Pancake Day and Museum Day! I have many Halloween- and autumn-themed activities planned out as well, and I’m looking forward to all the festivities in the coming weeks.

mei2.jpg

ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EXPRESSION

ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EXPRESSION

Different Cultures Within Juilliard!

Different Cultures Within Juilliard!