Quiet Conversations

Quiet Conversations

This week I wanted to share with you all some thoughts of mine that have come about from my experience of being an Resident Assistant in the dorms this year. I remember last year the RA’s at the dorms were really a wonderful influence for the community and were so much fun to have around. I was working at the Office of Residence life last year, so I got to get a little bit of a peek into the life of the RA’s and in the meantime contribute in my own way to the community at the dorms. By the end of the year last year I knew that I wanted to step up and make bigger contributions towards the residence life community, so I became an RA.

alex1.jpg

Thus far it’s been a fantastic experience, and there’s plenty to say about all the different characteristics of my job that I enjoy. However, I wanted to bring up one particular experience I had the other evening while I was doing rounds throughout the dorms as part of night duty. It was a Tuesday night and was pretty standard as far as Tuesday nights go. This particular Tuesday, however, I was left with a certain impression of contentment. This came from the simple but heartwarming fact that in almost every suite that I went into there were was always some small, quiet conversation going on between people who in day to day life simply don’t get see each other very often. The dorms are the place where people from all different walks of life at Juilliard get the chance to come together and share in the experience of being an artist at Juilliard in the most humble and non-glamorous of ways.

alex2.jpg

We traditionally think of collaboration as this big, monumental occurrence that happens only in specific projects and for specific occasions, but the truth of the matter is that collaboration is happening here all of the time in the smallest and most beautiful of ways. It happens in the easy exchange of ideas around the dinner table as friends recount their day, and it happens when a group of friends from different divisions take the time to go out to dinner together and just talk about their own individual perspectives on life. Being an RA gives me the chance to not only witness, but to be a part of this constant ebb and flow of information between people, and it’s something that I consider myself so incredibly lucky to take part in every day here at Juilliard.  Thanks for reading and be sure to also check out the great posts from my fellow bloggers!

~Alexander Sargent~

Juilliard Dance 2020                 

Different Cultures Within Juilliard!

Different Cultures Within Juilliard!

Coming together for Art

Coming together for Art