JUILLIARD DRAMA 50TH ANNIVERSARY

JUILLIARD DRAMA 50TH ANNIVERSARY

On the weekend of October 7-8, The Juilliard Drama Division celebrated its 50th Anniversary. The weekend had a line-up of activities such as a Welcome Breakfast for all current students, alumni and faculty of the Drama Division, an Open-House Day of Classes for all alumni (where alumni and current students can attend classes taught by Juilliard faculty), culminating in an evening celebration at the Peter Jay Sharp Theater followed by an Anniversary Reception at various rooms at the 3rd floor of the Juilliard building.

One of the reception rooms featuring a picture with the first Filipino who graduated from Juilliard Drama: Ana Valdes-Lim.

This weekend was a generous reminder of journeys, tradition, belonging and love for the work. There were some poignant things that were said by one of the playwrights who spoke during the evening celebration at the Sharp, and some of the alumni who were interviewed in the video presentations: (paraphrased) that we were all invited to be a part of this community because we already ARE the kind of actors, playwrights, artists that we needed to be. This made me reflect upon my motivations as I continue in the training. That I’m not here so that I can learn how to be a white person by talking, speaking, walking, thinking like a white person. I’m here because the people who have invited me in have seen that I have a Self that is large and that is worth magnifying even more. That my strength lies not in me belonging to a specific mold but in my multiplicity, complexity and simultaneity. That what I am doing here is not to change my Self but to acquire tools so that I have the technique to support my Self that is already large.

The Readiness is All

The Readiness is All

REGINA DE VERA

GROUP 48

QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

Culture at Juilliard

Culture at Juilliard

Tasting Culture

Tasting Culture