Dogs of New York

Dogs of New York

New York is a prime people watching paradise. With the swaths of pedestrians, both tourists and citizens, there comes a healthy contingent of dogs. Furry friends of all shapes and sizes. Little Yorkies on the Upper West Side, French Bulldogs in the West Village, Pomeranians on the East Side, and the occasional huge husky (which makes me wonder what kind of NYC apartment can house a big dog!). Coming to the big city and seeing all of these dogs really made me miss my own puppy.

My dog’s name is Weegee (after the Lower East Side crime scene and street photographer). He is a frisky Shorkie, which is a mix of a Shitzu and a Yorkie, and an overall bad city dog! He likes to eat hotdogs off the street and pull on his leash, and bark at his reflection in store windows. Long story short, I missed walking my dog and the multitude of dogs roaming New York gave me a pang of homesickness each time I saw them prancing down the sidewalk.

I applied for a job as a dog walker, and after interviews and questionnaires I finally got cleared to walk dogs via on an app (think of me as an Uber driver for dogs)! I’ve walked a beagle who pulled me through Central Park, a husky who looked like a little dog in his profile picture but in reality was huge! Walking dogs is a comforting return to a simple pleasure in my life, and a way for me to clear my head. Juilliard is sandwiched between Riverside Park, and Central Park. I walk dogs who are a bit more shy and antisocial in Central Park. The park is huge and allows the dog to have a bit more breathing room, as well as a way to avoid close proximity of other dogs who they might not have a good interaction. On the other hand, a social, peppy dog is a good fit for Riverside Park. There is an inclosed dog park where all sizes and breeds of dogs come to let loose and blow off some steam. I love sitting and watching the different interactions and personalities which unfold in the dog park. Sometimes little dogs become controlling and aggressively assert themselves over other breeds twice their size! Needless to say New York City dogs are always grateful for the chance to get some fresh air. Dog walking is a means for me to have a change of pace from the rigorous concentration of school, and serves as a moment to reconnect to the joy of being with animals.

mossy2.jpg
mossy3.jpg
mossy4.jpg

Above are photos of some of the different dogs I have walked. All of these pups had very different temperaments. The little ones loved the dog park in Riverside Park, and the big husky was so happy to go outside he ended up dragging me around the streets of the Upper West Side!

By Moscelyne PH

I'm Not A 1-Trick Pony!

I'm Not A 1-Trick Pony!

ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EXPRESSION

ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EXPRESSION