ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EXPRESSION

ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EXPRESSION

Regina at 10 Years Old

Regina at 10 Years Old

It was probably my father who noticed that I could write. From my toddler years to about 9 years old I was a very active kid – I played a lot outside of the house with my neighbor kid friends and spent most of recess and lunch time playing with my classmates. I began to withdraw into myself around the time I was ten years old. Pre-adolescence was tough on me – it was also around that same time when my father began showing signs of depression. Looking back, that might have been a factor to a shift in my temperament as well. Interestingly, this was also around the time I began to read books, beginning with the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” series and then I had a Paulo Coelho phase beginning with “The Alchemist.” All of that reading and philosophizing must have had an effect on me, because when I let my father read my college application essay he was very impressed. He said I had depth – “malalim,” as we would say in Filipino.

The Alchemist

The Alchemist

My writing bouts had phases. In my early 20’s, I would write incessantly in my journals every Monday – my own day off from the acting company I was a part of. I would be coming from a workshop class I paid from my own money (outside the acting company) which was facilitated by a teacher who graduated from Juilliard Drama Group 13, and I would write everything that I learned and thought of that day. When I was part of a play, I would write incessantly in my journals about the step-by-step processes that were useful and were not useful in rehearsal.

I could tell when my life had faced a desert when I could not write about anything. This was in the year 2014. When I made the journey to Juilliard in 2015, I started my own personal blog and have been posting consistently to it up to this day while keeping my own job at Juilliard Admissions. To this day, articles about writers’ processes still interest me. When I feel stuck in my work, I listen to podcasts that interviews writers to learn about their creative processes. I have learned that having alternative means of expression apart from acting is very important to me.

REGINA DE VERA

GROUP 48

Quezon City, Philippines

Dogs of New York

Dogs of New York

Autumn Approaches

Autumn Approaches