Semester Wrap Up: Best of 2016

Semester Wrap Up: Best of 2016

It is hard to believe how fast this semester has gone by (to be completely honest, I’m not even sure where the last year and a half has gone). My semester has certainly had its ups and downs, but as I am now preparing to go home for two weeks, I am reminded of how fortunate I am for the opportunities Juilliard has given me and for the unending support of my family, friends and teachers. To cap off 2016 blogs, I will share my personal best of 2016 list, highlighting some of the best moments of my first semester at ‘the J-yard’.

BEST OF 2016:

Performances:

I’ve talked about this in several blogs. Being in New York has allowed me to see some of the best live performances that exist. This semester I have seen 2 Operas, 8 Broadway shows (10 if you include two repeats), an Off-Broadway show, 2 Juilliard plays, a Juilliard opera, a Juilliard Orchestra Concert, a Poetry Slam, a concert at the New York Philharmonic, 2 shows at colleges other than Juilliard, and Juilliard New Dances. My favorites so far were the Metropolitan Opera’s La Bohème and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s School of Rock The performances that surprised me the most were Juilliard New Dances and School of Rock, both of which I underestimated tremendously and found extremely enjoyable. Vocal Arts class of 2020 also made their Juilliard debut on December 5th, performing in our first recital as a class in New York City! In 2017, I think I will be seeing more Opera than in the first semester. I am most excited to see Gounod’s Romeo et Juliette (starring Diana Damrau), Bizet’s Carmen, and Verdi’s Rigoletto.

New Friends:

I am lucky to have made some really tremendous friends since arriving at Juilliard both in and out of school. I am especially fortunate to have had my best friends from high school with me this semester. I am so lucky to have ended up in New York with them and I could not have made it through the semester without them. I am thankful to have made some new friends too and reconnected with some of my old friends who ended up at Juilliard as well. It has been such an excellent experience getting to learn with some extraordinarily hard-working people this semester and get to know a whole new group of people.

Thanksgiving Break:

One of the best moments of my time at Juilliard was actually when I got to leave it for a few days (I know it sounds bad, but hear me out). During my first semester, it was so hard for me to stop and appreciate my incredible circumstances. With homework, practicing, work, and other things, I felt constantly overwhelmed. My family was so great at being available to me to talk when I felt homesick. After spending nearly three months away from home, I was eagerly awaiting some time with them. Going home was an excellent way for me to recharge and spend time with my friends and family that I missed so much. On my way back to Juilliard, after spending 5 days away, I remember looking out my cab window and being so thankful for the opportunity to go to the greatest school in the world (in my completely unbiased opinion). That was the first moment it really clicked for me. No matter the amount of stress, I was where I was meant to be!

Here’s to happy holidays and an even better next semester for all of us. Remember to enjoy this last semester of high school and be thankful for all you have now! See you in 2017!

My Audition Story

My Audition Story

Winter in NYC

Winter in NYC