Semester Wrap Up!

Semester Wrap Up!

I can’t believe it is already the end of the first semester! Today is our last day of school - the second-year dancers have conferences with the faculty, and we also have a music exam!

When I look back on this semester, I am filled with so much happiness. I made so many wonderful memories, and was able to participate in some amazing performances and classes. This semester was definitely an opportunity to learn about pacing yourself, physically and mentally, through a very rigorous class and performance schedule, continuing to work towards your technical and artistic goals, and to push yourself outside your comfort zone. I also made more time to go see performances by the other divisions in the school, and to be amazed by all the talent in this building!

As a second year, I definitely feel a difference at this point, more than I did at this time last year. We are absolutely comfortable in the school environment now, and now that Juilliard really feels like home, you feel more confident taking risks and being autonomous in your studies. I really feel that this semester encouraged us students to look at the information we are given everyday, and evaluate how it applies to us as individuals and how it can help us work towards our goals. Our teachers have also encouraged us to really focus on our artistic development at all times. My Graham teacher, Terese Capucilli, talks about this a lot in class; that she wants our biggest takeaway from the class to be an increased access to our artistic capabilities, which we can then bring into any aspect of our dance career. I’ve really enjoyed that this semester, and it’s been one of my biggest takeaways.

I’m looking forward to another semester of learning and growth, of challenge and performance…but first Winter Break! I can’t wait to spend some time with my family (and dogs!) and enjoy some rest before returning for more hard work!

Make sure to check back next semester for more advice on your live auditions for the school, posts about classes and performances, and to follow along on our adventures in second semester!

Happy Holidays!

Maddie

Winter in NYC

Winter in NYC

Year 2 Semester 1

Year 2 Semester 1