The Waiting Game

The Waiting Game

Congrats--you’ve submitted your applications! Now comes the waiting game, which is, if anything, just as bad as actually applying. It will be several weeks until you start hearing back from schools on whether you passed the pre-screening round, so take this time to catch a breather and enjoy the holiday season.

While nothing is set in stone yet, you can also start outlining the logistics of the upcoming audition season. I kept a notebook with information about the applications and auditions for every college I applied to. By the end of February, my notebook was FULL of travel plans, thoughts on the schools I had visited, audition requirements, and college to-do lists. As I mentioned in a previous post, it’s nice to also have a copy on your computer or online as well, but nothing beats the satisfaction of crossing out a completed application on paper!  I had started out by writing down all the pre-screening and application requirements (as well as taking note of the application fees and all deadlines), and once my pre-screenings were submitted, I started looking up audition dates. Don’t start buying plane tickets or booking hotels or anything yet, but it doesn’t hurt to maybe make a calendar planning travel days and dates in which you’ll be missing school. I had friends attending most of the schools I applied to, so I also contacted them asking for advice and also seeing if they’d be willing to let me stay with them for a night or two while I was auditioning at the college. (This saves a lot of money on hotel rooms!) If you can, it helps to get a lesson with teachers at your schools while you’re at it.

A list I made for one of the schools I applied to (I crossed out the school name but I’m sure some of you flutists can guess which school it was!) As you can see, I had both the pre-screening and live audition requirements, as well as the application checklist. I also took note of the live audition dates and crossed out the ones I knew I couldn’t make .And even though I might have forgotten to check off a few boxes by the end, writing that little “DONE” in the corner was soooo satisfying.

Don’t get ahead of yourself and start making travel plans yet, but it doesn’t hurt to have a rough idea of how your audition season is going to go, which will make it easier to plan everything once you find out which pre-screenings you passed and which colleges you can take off your list (if any!). Stay organized, stay sane, and stay positive!!!

THE WAITING GAME

THE WAITING GAME

The Waiting Period

The Waiting Period