New Dances 2016!

New Dances 2016!

(My beautiful class! I’m so lucky to dance with you everyday. PC: Rosalie O’Connor)

Yesterday, the dance division finished our 5-show run of New Dances! Every year, the division puts on a show in December featuring four world premieres by four established choreographers, and performed by each class. We began rehearsals in October, and I can’t believe that we already reached the end of the process. The sophomore class worked with Kate Skarpetowska on a piece titled “The Saloneers.” It was an amazing process to work with Kate, and I will never forget this New Dances experience!

For the other pieces in the show, the freshmen worked with John Heginbotham on “First,” the juniors with Pam Tanowitz on “thunder rolling along afterward,” and the seniors with Matthew Neenan on “Walk Me Through.” It was so cool to watch the pieces come together, and see the progression of each class throughout the runs of the show.

(The freshmen in “First” by John Heginbotham, PC: Rosalie O’Connor)

(The juniors in “thunder rolling along afterward” by Pam Tanowitz, PC: Rosalie O’Connor)

(The seniors in “Walk Me Through” by Matthew Neenan, PC: Rosalie O’Connor)

(My class, bowing with Kate! We will miss you so much! PC: Rosalie O’Connor)

I love New Dances so much because it is an opportunity for us to work and bond as a class; we really learn to dance and rehearse like a company of dancers, instead of just individuals. The length of our rehearsal process also allows us to learn about the creative process of our choreographer, and how the structure of a piece comes together…especially a 15-minute piece! It is a challenge mentally and physically, but the experience is like nothing else! I’ll cherish the memories I made throughout this process.

Maddie

The Waiting Period

The Waiting Period

THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!!

THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!!