A Singers Guide to Waiting

A Singers Guide to Waiting

Congratulations! You’ve made it through 3+ months of stress and finally turned in all of your applications! You’re are one step closer to COLLEGE LIFE -- Now what? For the next few months you’ll be doing a lot of waiting to hear back from schools. Be patient! To help you through this next page of this chapter of your life story, here is my advice on how to manage the stress of waiting for colleges responses.

Have a heart-to-heart with yourself:

Read this to yourself everyday:  

Dear self,

I have worked very hard and will gracefully accept the results of my applications and pre-screen whether positive or negative! I know that I have done everything I need to do in order to achieve success and, regardless of the outcome, I am still an incredible performer of outstanding caliber! I know that I will be doing a lot of waiting in next few months, so instead of pacing the floor day and night asking questions such as “when will I hear from such-and-such school?” and “how long does it really take to watch a few thousand pre-screen applications?” and “why did I even apply to art school, I’m a horrible musician/dancer/actor I will never get in because I’m horrible”, I will patiently wait and not act/think in a way that will raise my blood pressure. I’m an artist and I don’t need a college acceptance to validate my significance!

Sincerely,

Self

A Hefty Amount of Netflix:

This is a no-brainer. After all this hard work you’ve put yourself through, you owe it to yourself to start a new TV binge-watching cycle. You should be in bed for 8 hours a day at a minimum watching Netflix (I’m kidding of course, but you know what I mean). If you’re looking for a good show to start, my recommendation would be the Office or Parks and Recreation. It’s a great way to distract yourself while waiting for your audition results.

Spend Time with Friends:

Now that application season is over, you have time to see your friends again! If you’re anything like me, your friends probably haven’t seen you in a while. Get together with them and take time to enjoy their company. It’s never too early to cherish time with your high school friends before you all head off to college. Spend time away from your phones (see next point) and close to each other.

Turn Your Phone Off for a While:

Everyone goes through days where the wait seems unbearable. My suggestion would be to eliminate the root of your problems: your phone. While refreshing your email every 30 seconds might be useful, it rarely gets you anywhere. Turn the phone off and give it to someone you trust for a while. Seriously, Twitter, Facebook, and email, will all still be there when you return to your phone.

Practice… a Bit:

Keep practicing! The journey isn’t over, so don’t completely give up on your normal practice routine, but also remember that your applications are done! There is nothing you can do to change the results of your pre-screens, so it’s okay to enjoy some well-deserved time to yourself. You’ve done all of the hard work and now it’s time to reap the benefits of that work. Don’t stress yourself out any more than you need to. Breathe.

Bottom Line:

The moral of this story: distract yourself. It’s better to be pleasantly surprised when your results come than obsessing over them. Find sometime you like to do and in no time, you’ll have your answers!

SEMESTER WRAP-UP!

SEMESTER WRAP-UP!

In Full Swing

In Full Swing