I write to you all while looking out onto the city from the 11th floor lounge here in the dorms. It’s an incredibly beautiful fall day here in the city, and so I took the opportunity to take a walk through central park this afternoon. I’ve been living in southern Florida for the past four years, so it was a joy unlike any other to be able to see all the stunning natural beauty that the fall season has to offer here in the city. I’ve been reflecting back on the semester thus far, I’m happy to say that there are many joyful things to remember. Here’s a list of what I consider to be the high points of the semester thus far:
1. Orientation Week. There definitely couldn’t have been any better way to start off the year than with orientation week. It was an absolutely incredible experience, and I always look back on that first week of school quite fondly.
2. Starting, rehearsing, and presenting my first piece for October choreographic workshop. This was an experience unlike any other, and I look forward to many more opportunities to collaborate with my classmates in this sort of way.
3. Starting rehearsals for New Dances. It’s been wonderful to be able to rehearse with my entire class in order to create a brand new piece, and I can’t wait to perform it in the Sharp theater this December!
4. Halloween. Enough said. My entire class dressed up as Sia and honestly no more explanation than that is needed.
5. Working as a choreographer in a collaborative project with friends of mine from the music division here. I’ve never gotten the chance to work collaboratively with musicians before, so this is an absolutely new experience and I’m excited to see how the project turns out!
In addition to this, I’ve had lots of fun being able to go see various shows both here at Juilliard and around NYC. Last night I had to opportunity to see the 4th year drama performance of Marisol. Suffice to say, it was incredible. I also got the chance to get free tickets from a vocalist friend of mine to go see a concert at Carnegie Hall, and a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of seeing Fall for Dance at New York City Center. In the coming weeks I also look forward to getting to go see Netherlands Dance Theater here in the city. (They’re one of my favorite companies so safe to say I’m quite excited.)
As the semester draws to a close, I’ve also already begun to think about my plans for the summer. I’m interested in doing more choreographic work and teaching during my time during the summer, so I’m currently working on pulling together my portfolio and resume so that I can begin my search in earnest. However in the more immediate future I have an ethics essay that’s due in four days time… So I had better get to work on that I suppose! Thank you all so much for reading, and be sure to check back next week for more!
Juilliard Dance 2020