Final-ish Thoughts

Final-ish Thoughts

Prospective students,

This will be our final encounter before you submit your college applications and begin to see the payoff of your hard work. The entire admissions blogger team is so excited for you can’t wait for all of your successes! It is an incredibly stressful, exciting, and rewarding time in your life and, from what we’ve gathered, you’re probably killing it! Before you finish turning in your applications, I thought I would leave you with some final bits of advice – things I wish someone had told me while I was applying. I hope you find this helpful.

1.      Breathe: You’ve probably heard this several (million) times since this process began, but it is really important: B-R-E-A-T-H-E. Whether or not you get into your top schools or not, sooner or later this journey will end and a new one will begin. Stop for a moment and enjoy what is going on around you. Trust me, I know from experience that this task is easier said than done. Do your best. In 10 months when you’re sitting in college classes, your senior year stresses will be a thing of the past!

2.      Listen to your parents: Even though you are probably “so done” with being told what to do, answering questions, and making major life decisions, take a minute to appreciate what your parents are doing for you right about now. Not only is this a stressful time for you, but also (and probably more so) for you parents. It is a major financial commitment for them (in some cases) and a can be a leap of faith for them to let you go off into the world and follow your dreams. College is a great experience for learning how to navigate the world on your own, but you are always going to need your parent’s help. You can expect several phone calls beginning with “Mom/Dad, how do I ____________” Though you’ll hate to admit it (I know I sure do), they probably know what’s best in most cases. At the very least, try to stop the eye-rolling and Facebooking for a few minutes to listen to what they have to say.

3.      Take it for what it is: It is so important to take the results of your applications with a grain of salt. While getting an acceptance, deferral, or denial from a college may seem like the end of the world, it is important to understand how many other factors go into being accepted to colleges. You think it’s hard for you? Imagine what Juilliard admissions is going through right about now trying to sort through thousands of applications from overly-qualified applicants. The results of these auditions have no impact on who you are as an artist and as a person. If you are accepted to you top schools, THAT’S GREAT! Don’t brag -- help a friend who may not be as fortunate as you. Remember, no one likes an ego. Humbleness is key. If you are not accepted to you top schools, WHO CARES!? Where ever you land this fall, you will find the perfect school for you. Sure, we’d all love to see you in NYC in September, but remember, you’ve got to make that choice!

4.      Take it aaaaaaaaall in: This is the most important! Make sure to stop a moment and enjoy what’s going on right now. I wish someone had reminded me of that during my senior year. You’ll have time for college when you’re in college. Enjoy your last football games, homecoming, choir concerts, prom, graduation. All of a sudden it’s going to be May and you’ll be done with high school. All of a sudden you’ll be shopping for your dorm room, and saying goodbye to your best friends. (If you’re like me, you’ll be saying goodbye to the people you’ve been in school with since Kindergarten). All of a sudden you’ll be saying goodbye to your immediate family and taking pictures in front of your house on your last day home. You’ll be getting in a plane or a train or a car and going to some unknown place for 2 and half months. All of a sudden it’s going to be November 20th and you’re going to be writing a blog for prospective students two days before you visit home for the FIRST TIME since August (well, maybe not, but you get the idea!). TAKE. IT. IN. Spend time with your family and friends. Looks forward to the future and be thankful for all of the great things you have now! Enjoy your thanksgiving and let the process be what it is! College has been an exceptional experience so far and I know there’s still more to come!    

Go get ‘em!

--Ryan

Submitting Your Drama Application!

Submitting Your Drama Application!

Some final bits of wisdom

Some final bits of wisdom