Tis the (Application) Season
Application season is in full swing, and I’m sure you’re all stressed as can be. Applications can be super tedious and extremely nerve-racking. Here are a few tips that I’ve gathered from my own experience applying and from some advice from friends:
1. Make lists! Having all of your to-dos for each school in one place saves a lot of time and stress on your part. I’m into graphic design, so I actually designed a colorful sheet for myself with spaces for audition rep, dates, essay/prescreen requirements, etc. You don’t have to get that crazy, but having all of your info together makes the process much simpler.
2. Spread it out. Don’t wait until the last minute to do anything!! Try to get everything done as early as you can so that you don’t fall victim to technical difficulties the night that your application to your dream school is due.
3. Apply where you want to apply. There is not magic number of schools that you should apply to. Some people want to apply to lots of schools to keep their options open, and some want to apply to just the schools they can see themselves attending. I personally applied to 7 schools; I had a few safety schools, a few schools I thought were at my level, and two “dream” schools. A few of my friends only applied to Juilliard because they didn’t want to go anywhere else. While I probably would advise applying to more than one school, apply to only as many as you feel is right for you.
4. Do your pre-screens early! You might do your pre-screen and decide that you want to re-record, whether it’s due to the acoustics or how you feel about a certain piece. Find a place with good acoustics, pick pieces that you feel showcase your best qualities, and have fun! You want to showcase your best qualities to the schools you’re applying to, and you can’t do that if you’re overthinking!
5. Be excited! Applying to college can be a very big decision, but you have so many exciting prospects ahead of you!
Best of luck to all of you!!!