Application Season is Upon Us!

Application Season is Upon Us!

The time has come and college application season is now upon us. My first bit of advice is if you haven’t already started your applications, start immediately after reading this blog! It’s a very time intensive process, and depending on the school you're applying to there will be a number of different things you will have to look out for when working on your applications. But don’t stress! Just follow these guidelines and you’ll be on your way to an acceptance letter sooner than you think. I should note that I will be discussing things from the perspective of a dancer applying to an arts college, as that was my own personal experience and therefore the point of view that I am most familiar with.

First things first, you’re going to need to evaluate what is important to you in regards to what a school's environment is and what it has to offer otherwise. Here’s a list of a few things that you should ask yourself to help you narrow down your choice of schools:

-          Do I want to go to a large school with lots of people, or something more private?

-          Do I want to go to school close to home, or would I like to move away?

-          Do I want to double major?

-          Do I want to take lots of different electives?

-          Do I feel comfortable in big cities or do I prefer something more quiet?

-          Do I want to look at a more ballet oriented program or am I better suited for something more contemporary?

These are just a few things you should ask yourself as you make your decisions on where to apply. I know that personally I had a huge interest in choreography, I wanted to live in NYC, and I wanted a school that had an extremely focused and intense program in my chosen area of study. Juilliard fit the bill for that, which is why I included it on the list of schools that I wanted to apply to!

Next up, you’ll need to start working on your application materials. For dancers this is a bit of a different process, so you’ll need to be thorough in making sure you have everything you need! Here’s a list of some basic things you’ll need to have ready to go:

-          A two minute solo that shows off your skillset as a dancer.

-          Letters of recommendation from both your ballet teachers & academic teachers.

-          Your Common Application (commonapp.org).

-          Your academic transcripts.

-          Your audition photos. (Headshot, first arabesque, tendu a la seconde, etc.)

-          Your application essay. (The prompt for your essay will be different depending on which school you're applying, so be mindful of this.)

Having those things ready to go will give you a big head start into your application process! For the Juilliard dance audition you will need to register online in order to attend the live audition. For the live audition you’ll need to have a solo prepared, which can be either your own choreography or someone else’s. You should also know who you would like to ask for a letter of recommendation, as you’ll want to ask someone who knows you and your work well and can put in a good word for you!

There’s no denying that college application season is a very busy and at times stressful period. Stick to your guns, stay organized, and don’t hold anything back! My last and most important piece of advice in regards to college applications and auditions is to be yourself! Showcase who you truly are, not who you think the college would like you to be. Above all, you should pick a school that suits you and your aspirations, so be thorough in your research, and best of luck! And who knows? Perhaps by this time next year you too will be among the crowd in the morning elevator rush to get to the third floor here at Juilliard! Thanks for reading, and be sure to check back next week for more!

~Alexander Sargent~

Juilliard Dance 2020

I promise that this is how you’ll feel as soon as all of your applications are in… So get started!

THE BIG CHOICE!!

THE BIG CHOICE!!

Applying to Juilliard

Applying to Juilliard