The Juilliard Community: One Big Family

The Juilliard Community: One Big Family

The Juilliard Community is such a special place to learn and grow. I’ve said it in previous blogs, and I’ll probably say it in future blogs: Juilliard is incredibly diverse when it comes to school involvement and the types of things you can do.

What’s so Special About the Juilliard Community?

You hear it a lot: ‘The Juilliard School is a Community”. It seems to be reiterated like a broken record, but it’s actually one of the best things about going to school here! Despite our crazy schedules, rehearsals, coachings, homework, and other daily activities, there are still so many people to meet and so many things to get involved in. The Juilliard community is incredibly inviting. Upon my first visit to Juilliard, I was surprised (and you will be too) by the “chill-ness” of the school. I expected it to be so cutthroat and intimidating but it’s really very collaborative and inviting. It cannot be denied that everyone holds themselves to a high standard here, but they do so in a professional manner, building each other up instead of breaking each other down. One of the things that I have found so nice about Juilliard has been the sense of family we have here. Because our school has so few students (850 or so), we can’t help but be close and supportive of each other. We’re all in this together, whether we like it or not (It just so happens that we all like it a lot!). The first few months of the first year of college are bound to be a little rocky, so it’s wonderful to have so many people within arms-length to support you and for you to support. Being a Juilliard student is like being in the coolest squad you can think of!

My Favorite Thing About the Juilliard Community:

Another thing that I’ve discovered since arriving at Juilliard is the assortment of things to be involved in at Juilliard. I have a lot of interests in addition to my musical interests, but because the course load is so rigorous, I don’t necessarily want to fit more classes into my schedule to support these interests. Having numerous friends, clubs, and student activities to get involved in here is a blessing. Upon arriving, I found that after having been involved in leadership groups all throughout middle and high school, there was an empty place in my heart that needed to be filled. I’ve already joined the student council at Juilliard, one of many things to get involved in.

The environment at Juilliard is nothing to be intimidated by, in fact, it’s one of the things to most look forward to. Get those applications in, we can’t wait for you to be here next fall beginning your Juilliard Journey with us!

Applying to Juilliard

Applying to Juilliard

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?