WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

This entry is dedicated to the family that is Juilliard Drama Group 48.

It’s interesting to see what timing can do. When I was thinking about preparing for graduate school a number of people have asked me if I really needed to do it “now.” Was I in a hurry? Can I wait one more year? Is now the time? Why and how did I want to do it “now” all of a sudden? I surely asked myself those questions. When I finally got into Juilliard, there were people who asked, “Why only now?” “Why not earlier”?

Timing is a lot of things, and sometimes it is something beyond one’s control. If I had applied and been admitted into the program earlier, or later, I wouldn’t have been in Group 48. Group 48 to me is composed of one of the greatest group of human beings in the world. I do not mean that only with respect to talent, but to heart and humanity as well.

Group 48 in 2015 as First Years

Group 48 in 2015 as First Years

If you have been following my blogs (both my Juilliard Blogs and my personal blogs) you would probably have an idea that I wasn’t very happy where I came from. I spent most of my pre-adolescent to early adult life searching for “my community” but always felt that underneath all the niceties I truly was “different” from everyone else.

One of the great and wonderful ironies of my life was that I found my community when I stopped looking for it. My foremost desires in applying for graduate school was to carve out a new life for myself and pursue my dream of having a broad and expansive life as an actress and an independent human being. I had no idea that love was also waiting for me at the other side. Not romantic love per se, but deep expansive compassionate love from people from entirely different backgrounds and cultures.

Group 48 in our First Year Discovery Project doing Pericles.

A brief example of how Group 48 is family was manifested during a journey I took at the beginning of the last quarter of my first year. I did not get the Resident Assistant position I applied for which will enable me to have a room and a meal plan for free for my second year. Paying for another school year living in the Residence Hall would be too much of a financial burden to me and my family. My moral compass directed me to go into the path of finding my own place in New York City. As an international student I didn’t know how terrible New York real estate was and I felt alone and overwhelmed.

In this process two of my colleagues from Group 48 volunteered to let me stay in their apartment while I go look for mine. They did not make me pay for anything. When I finally moved into my own place after 4 weeks of searching, my other colleagues also helped me move in with all my belongings.

I could go on and on with examples of how time and again, Group 48 saves the day. For now, suffice it to say that I love all of them dearly and I am grateful that in this journey I have found a group of people whom I can finally call family.

Group 48 in 2016 as Second Years

REGINA DE VERA

GROUP 48

The Juilliard Community: One Big Family

The Juilliard Community: One Big Family

The Juilliard Community

The Juilliard Community