The Juilliard Community

The Juilliard Community

I can say with 100% certainty that my experience at Juilliard would be completely different without the fantastic community that I get to be a part of. I’m not only part of a close, tight-knit vocal arts community, but also a part of the school as a whole. When people think of Juilliard, the first thing they think of is probably not a great group of people who build you up and encourage you in your endeavors. People always ask about the crazy competition and if my fellow singers are always trying to sabotage me. I can gladly say that that is not the case. 

(This is what they did when I told them to “act natural”)

Whenever people ask about the vocal arts community, I always tell them that I was able to get 8 built-in friends. From day 1 we all stuck together; we have dinner together after our vocal arts classes (we call them our “family dinners”) and we always go to each others’ performances. We even have a group chat titled #VA19 :-) I am very close with my family at home, and I wasn’t sure how I was going to adjust to being so far away from them. Thankfully, I have these wonderful people here as a second family <3

The thing that helped most with my transition into the Juilliard community was orientation. Juilliard does orientation like no other. I was able to mingle with people from other divisions while also building a foundation for my relationships with my singer pals. 

After my great experience at orientation last year, I decided to be an orientation leader this year! It was such a different experience being on the other side of the whole thing. I realized how much work goes into it and how Juilliard places a lot of emphasis on forming community not only between all of the incoming students, but also between the new and current students, with outings, meetings, and evening events!

(Leading a group kayaking on the Hudson)

I was able to get to know the new students and help them build their community as they’re all coming to Juilliard for the first time.

(Who doesn’t love an ice breaker?)

(Who doesn’t love an ice breaker?)

Before I came here I was very uncertain about how the community would turn out to be. I’d mainly heard horror stories of singers trying to beat each other out for roles and extreme divas. The Juilliard community is a place where I can develop as an artist without insecurity or fear of judgment because I know my fellow students want me to succeed.

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

The Juilliard Community

The Juilliard Community