The Juilliard Community

The Juilliard Community

(Class of 2019)

(Class of 2019)

One of the best things about Juilliard is the amazing community of individuals that are involved with the school. The community here is truly one of a kind for many reasons, and the more time I spend with my peers, the more I appreciate their authenticity, diversity and talent…

As a new student last year, it did feel intimidating coming to a new city, a new school and being surrounded by new people…but only for a VERY short time! As soon as I arrived at Orientation, I was so warmly welcomed by the community of students here, and Juilliard immediately started feeling like my home away from home. Between living in the dorms and the orientation activities, I immediately got to connect with students from across the divisions, and with my classmates! It was great to take the time before classes began to get to know whom we would be spending the next four years with! The very first days at Juilliard forged some of the closest friendships I have now.

The great thing about the Juilliard community is that it is a small and tight-knit community of people who all share something in common - a passion for the arts! Whether you are a musician, actor or dancer, you can always connect with other students over your mutual love for what you do, the work you put in to your craft, and the belief that your art has the power to make a difference and an impact in the larger society. For me, constantly being surrounded by such ambition, talent and drive is an inspiration, and I’m so grateful to be in a place with so many like-minded individuals, where there is endless innovation, stimulus and creativity.

This brings me to another point…the connections you make here at Juilliard will last a lifetime. Not only for the incredible friendships, but also for the networking you will do over your time here. Every faculty member and student has so much to offer the arts world, and will go on to do incredible things in the industry. The connections you make here with students from every division will lead to opportunities you can’t imagine in the future, especially in collaborative projects. When you take the time to network and connect with someone, they will get to know your work ethic, talent, and artistic voice, and it is possible that they can offer you a work or performance opportunity in the future. A huge part of success in the arts world and an arts career is who you know, and I feel that Juilliard can sometimes be a microcosm for the arts world. There are so many performances, opportunities, collaborative works, creative processes, etc. that happen here, that it is a great time to start developing the skills necessary to network and connect in the arts community that will be so important after graduation (and before too!). So take the time to connect with your peers! It is so important, especially in such a wonderful community, such as the one at Juilliard.

Thanks for reading!

Maddie :) 

(With some of my classmates and best friends!)

(After Graham in the park with my class)

(Elevator selfie!)

(Elevator selfie!)

The Juilliard Community

The Juilliard Community

Around the World in 80 Minutes

Around the World in 80 Minutes