The Community at Juilliard

The Community at Juilliard

"FRIENDS.How many of us have them?"

[Good song by Whodini.]

People often ask me about the community about Juilliard...Here's what a typical conversation usually looks like:

• "Hey...do you go to Juilliard?"
    • "Uh, yea haha..."
  • "WOW, that's amazing!! I've never actually met someone who actually goes there, that's so cool..."
    • "Thanks, haha. I appreciate it."
  • "So what's it like??"
    • "It's pretty cool. I really enjoy it. Definitely blessed to be going there."
  • "How many people go to Juilliard?"
    • "Between 800 - 900."
  • "No way...that's it??"
    • "Well yea, the acceptance rate is, like, 6 or 7 percent, so I guess that's why. The auditions are pretty crazy."
  • "Wow, wow...so now that you actually go there, how do you feel? How are the people there?"
    • "Well, generally it's a pretty diverse community of people, personality wise. You have your dancers, singers, actors, classical musicians, jazz musicians..."
  • "Sounds kind of like high school, hehe..."
    • "It can be, I guess, but it's college, so a lot of people are just doing their own thing anyway, ya know?"
  • "Ah, I see! That makes sense, very cool."
    • "Yea, well thanks for the chat, I actually have to get to school now, haha. Take it easy."

Long story short, it can be pretty easy to find your friends here at Juilliard. Usually, they will be in your division since they're the people you spend the most time with. But if you're at Juilliard with the next generation in the arts, why put yourself in that box? Being a jazz musician, I am friends with a lot of actors and dancers. I even go check out many of their performances. It gives you perspective for not only your art, but for yourself as well!

#bemike

#bemike

Around the World in 80 Minutes

Around the World in 80 Minutes

Community & Connections

Community & Connections