Around the World in 80 Minutes

Around the World in 80 Minutes

My mornings start off with WQXR blasting classical music. In our tiny room, my roommate and I climb over each other in a frenzy as I grab my piccolo and she grabs her pointe shoes.  As we get ready, I can hear the sounds of my suitemates in their rooms--one of them Skyping her family in Germany, the other speaking in Korean to her friend on the phone. In the elevator, one of my friends in the drama division tells me his plans for the day. On my way to class, the sounds of musicians warming up in practice rooms floats down the hallway. I overhear conversations in Chinese, Italian, and Spanish in the elevator. By the time I get to class, it’s not even 9:30 yet and I’ve already been exposed to all three majors and numerous languages.

As with any great institution, Juilliard is full of talented students from all around the world, and its diverse atmosphere exposes us to countless different cultures and perspectives. Because what we do as performing artists is universal, communicating and collaborating with people of all backgrounds and talents promotes tremendous artistic growth. 

(Infographic on the international student population at Juilliard from the Office of International Advisement [OIA]).

One of my favorite things about Juilliard is that it has such a diverse and inclusive community. Students come here from 39 countries, and the Office of International Advisement does a great job organizing cultural events for us to engage in; every week there are different events celebrating holidays from around the world. There are flyers everywhere advertising upcoming events ranging from dances to discussions. The res life faculty are constantly coming up with new activities as well. And with the (sometimes overwhelming) amount of emails we receive every week regarding school news, it’s hard to feel out of the loop. Since coming here, I have learned so much about countless different cultures, and I’ve met some incredibly interesting people. Somehow, I feel so much more connected the rest of the world without even having to leave the Juilliard building.

The Juilliard Community

The Juilliard Community

The Community at Juilliard

The Community at Juilliard