A (Fri)day in the Juilliard Life!

A (Fri)day in the Juilliard Life!

Hey guys!

We are already well into the semester here at Juilliard, and after talking so much about my daily experiences at the school in the last couple of blogs, I thought it would be neat to take you through a normal school day for me! Depending on your major, year, etc., students at Juilliard can have very different schedules. As a sophomore dancer, our days are very similar each year, just with some different classes, more rehearsals and added intensity! So, today I’m going to take you along with me as I dance through my Friday at Juilliard! 

6:45am: Rise and shine! I get up early to pack my bag for the day, have breakfast and walk to yoga class just down the street.

7:30 – 8:30am: I take a yoga class every morning so that I feel warm, awake and ready for the day. It is a great way to have some time to focus on myself, while warming up for the dance day and taking care of my body!

8:50am: Arrive at school and head up to the 5th floor for liberal arts class...I usually spend a few minutes sitting by the window wall with my classmates before we head into the classroom.

(The window wall on the 5th floor)

(The window wall on the 5th floor)

9:00-10:15am: Art and Aesthetics class. Towards the beginning of the year, we focused a lot on art theory and reading works of some of the most important aesthetic philosophers and critics. Currently, we are working on finishing up an analysis of Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, and are moving on to Coriolanus by Shakespeare. 

(A picture I took during a homework session for Art and Aesthetics)

10:15-10:40am: We have this time before we start our Pointe class to get down to the studios and warm up before class starts.

10:40-12:05pm: Pointe class with Taryn. This is one of my favorite classes of the week, because it is a time where I get to really focus on my alignment and understanding of technique, and its application to my body and movement.

(Warming up for pointe…)

(Warming up for pointe…)

12:15-1:40pm: We have Modern class right after ballet, and as second-years we take Graham technique and Taylor technique. Since it is Friday, we have Graham with Terese. I love Graham on Friday because we do the floorwork in a circle, so we can really connect to the energy of the class, which is so important in the work. 

(In between classes, getting ready to start Graham class.)

1:40-2:30pm: Lunchtime! I usually take this time to rest, sit and talk with friends and get some fresh air eating outside, taking in the beautiful views of Lincoln Center just across the way.

2:30-4:00pm: Dance Composition II. This is absolutely my favorite class this year, since it is a chance to learn so many new compositional tools and techniques that we can use to choreograph and create work. Right now, we are studying Merce Cunningham’s Chance Operations method, and employing them in class to create short phrases and works. We spend a lot of time reflecting, writing, and discussing many aspects of choreography, and to a larger extent, art, and it is a great way to keep learning about yourself as an artist, and your developing choreographic aesthetic.

(This is from an exercise we did in comp class, where we presented a short duet that we created in pairs to our peers, and then received anonymous feedback cards about their ideas, interpretations, questions, suggestions, etc. that we could later apply to the work. It was really very cool to see how resonant the phrase was, and the ideas that were given were so interesting to read.) 

4:00-4:15pm: A short break before rehearsal to switch studios, grab a quick snack and go over the material from last rehearsal.

4:15-7:15pm: New Dances rehearsal! This was actually our first week of rehearsals for New Dances, and this year we are working with Katarzyna Skarpetowska, an alumnus of Juilliard! It is very neat to go into this process as a sophomore, since the process is so different from last year. I am really enjoying working with Kate, and I always love being able to dance with my whole class. I can’t wait to see how the piece develops and am looking forward to the creative process!

(A picture I snapped on a quick rehearsal break!)

7:15-8:00pm: In this time, I usually do a bit of reading, go get dinner, and prepare for rehearsal.

8:00-9:30pm: Workshop rehearsal! We have another Choreographic Workshop coming up in early November, so this time I am choreographing a duet, working on two incredible dancers. I love workshop rehearsals, since it is a time I get to explore my own creative process, create work, and work with my peers outside of class-time. I can’t wait to finish the piece and see the final product in a couple of weeks!

9:30-11:00pm: After rehearsal, I head back home, shower, read and do some homework. It’s finally bedtime!

Thanks for following along as I experience another day at Juilliard!

Maddie

A DAY IN THE LIFE (JAZZ)!

A DAY IN THE LIFE (JAZZ)!

Day in the Life of a Flute Player

Day in the Life of a Flute Player