A Day in the Life of a Juilliard Dancer

A Day in the Life of a Juilliard Dancer

Breakfast is definitely another sacred ritual, and somehow this time I managed to time it so that there was basically no line... That doesn't happen often to be quite honest, but regardless I appreciated the quiet morning! The cafeteria has plenty of great options for breakfast, including: waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, omelettes, bacon, sausages, breakfast sandwiches, and more. There's certainly no shortage when it comes to options.

A day in the life of a Juilliard dancer is one filled with challenge, hard work, fun, creativity, and inspiration. Everyday is a journey in and of itself, and you never quite know what to expect.

I generally wake up at about 8:02 AM each morning, as our first class starts at 9:00 AM. Definitely one of my favorite moments each morning is getting to see the view out of the window of my suite each as I head down to breakfast.

After breakfast is finished, I walk across to the Juilliard building for my first class. This walk is also another favorite morning moment, as this is what my walk to school each morning looks like:

Not too shabby, is it?! Not to mention my walk to school never takes longer than 30 seconds...

On this particular day my morning academic class was Music Studies. We practice sight reading, singing, piano, rhythm practice, and a whole plethora of other things. Alternatively, some mornings I'll have Ethics instead of music. Ethics always proves to be an interesting and enlightening class, and I always walk away from that class with a slightly new perspective on the world.

Music wraps up at 10:15 AM and we then head down to the 3rd floor for ballet class, which is always our first dance class of the day. This is another favorite moment of mine, as we generally head down the staircase which runs parallel to Broadway, and the sun always does a fantastic job of lighting up that whole side of the building in the morning.

This morning we had ballet class with Lawrence Rhodes, the Director of the Dance Division here at Juilliard. He teaches class to the freshmen once a week, and overall he is very involved with our progress and our development as a class. Ballet class is generally about an hour and a half, give or take depending on the specific day. Today we went from 10:40 AM - 12:05 PM.

After ballet we will have class for one of the two modern techniques we study freshman year, or we'll have partnering. Today we had Graham Technique with Terese Capucilli, which is always an incredible class to take. I have found Graham unique due to the level of emotional as well as physical involvement required for the technique. Learning the technique is akin to learning an entirely new language, it takes time, but contraction by contraction we're getting there!

After modern ends at 1:40 PM, it's time to head back to the Rose building for lunch! We usually get 50 minutes for lunch, and sometimes we will try to fit in our physical therapy appointments during this time so it can get quite busy some days.

Running rehearsals for my pieces in the evening is definitely my favorite part of the day. I feel as though it's the perfect culmination of all my classes. It's the one place that I get to apply everything I've learned throughout the day, and through that create something that is both rich with meaning and ripe with beauty. The picture above is from a rehearsal for my November Choreographic Workshop piece, which will feature five of my fellow classmates who will be dancing on pointe.

Finally, after all that we get to go have dinner, which we usually get to at around 7:30 in the evening. After dinner we'llall head back to our suites to shower, do some homework, and try to catch one of the beautiful sunsets that mark the end of another day here at the Juilliard school. Thanks for reading this weeks blog and be sure to check back next week for more!

~Alexander Sargent~ Juilliard Dance 2020

Community & Connections

Community & Connections

A Day in The Life of a Juilliard Drama Major!