Then, Now, and Later

Then, Now, and Later

As a musician, you’re always asked two questions: 1) When did you start singing? and 2) What are you going to do with your degree? The first one is always easier to answer, and no one ever really knows 100% how to answer the second one because it’s such an unpredictable career path. I’m going to try to answer both of these questions, so here we go! :-)

1) When did you start singing?

I’m always interested by this question because I don’t remember. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t singing or when music wasn’t a large part of my life. I sang in church every Sunday, and my mom was always singing along to something in the car. Music always meant something happy, whether it was a car ride with the family or karaoke with my sister in the playroom. I joined the chorus at my elementary school in 4th grade, and I auditioned and got into the NC Honors Chorus in 5th grade, which is when I started taking singing seriously. In elementary school, whenever someone asked what I wanted to be I would say either a veterinarian or a pop star. In middle school I got involved in show choir and I wanted to be a Broadway star. I started taking classical voice in high school because my mom was impressed with how well I sang along to Phantom of the Opera and “The Girl in 14G.” I had liked classical music for a while, but I hadn’t considered singing classically before. I ended up loving it and auditioning for music schools, and here I am!

2) What are you going to do with your degree?

I have two main ideas of what I want to do. Of course I love opera, and I’d love to travel the world singing opera for a living. I also love singing musical theatre (just legit musical theatre, I’m not much of a belter). I love them both, and I love performing both genres in their own ways. Right now I’m going to keep studying just classical, but Juilliard really prepares me for either career path. Since I take acting and dance classes as a voice major, I’m able to keep both options open. Who knows, maybe I’ll end up going to med school (just kidding, that is never going to happen). I know I want to sing for the rest of my life, and I’m going to see what happens from there! :-)

Arc of My Art

Arc of My Art

The Arc of My Art

The Arc of My Art