The Arc of My Art

The Arc of My Art

The Arc of My Art

One of the most amazing things about Juilliard, and the arts in general, is the incredibly individual paths of all the students that have led them to Juilliard, but also the many different paths that they can take as artists after graduation. Having a conversation with my peers is always so fascinating, since everyone has such unique and individual goals in mind for after graduation, and it is really very special to think that we have the power as young artists to shape and guide our careers, starting with our college experience.

What I’ve learned is that there is so much opportunity and room in the arts world to find your place and your voice as an artist, just like there are so many paths in artistic development and training one can take. So, today I wanted to talk about the arc of my career so far, as well as some of my career goals and aspirations post-graduation, in hopes of inspiring you to think about yours. I think it is so important to remember that there is never one way to do things, there is no formula to achieving success in the arts, and that sometimes this can be easily forgotten, especially in the college admissions process. So, keep your minds open to many possibilities and opportunities, and don’t doubt the choices you have made regarding your art.

For me, I started dancing when I was put in a dance studio program when I was 6 years old. From there, I continued in the studio training and competition stream, until I became independent of a studio when I was 13. With the support and help of my parents, I then dictated my own training, working in ballet, contemporary and hip hop with teachers through competition and dance convention circuits, often travelling to Los Angeles to train with my teachers. I was equally involved in training in concert and commercial dance, and I have a huge appreciation for both sides of the industry. This was absolutely the right fit for me, since I learned how to prioritize versatility, exposure to many different teachers and opportunities, and really take control of my career and training early on.

My training has absolutely shaped my career goals and ideas, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. But, this is only one path to Juilliard, and it is individual to me. For example, my classmates have vastly different stories as to how they came to do what they do; how they were inspired to take up their art, the ideas and ideals they were exposed to, and their priorities in their training. Everyone is also such a unique artist and mover, that their movement reflects their varied backgrounds. This also rings true to the musicians and actors. It is one of my favorite aspects of Juilliard, because it reminds you of how vital and powerful individuality is, but also how communal it is.

In terms of my goals and aspirations after graduation, I would love to have a career in commercial and concert dance. In my life, these have been so influential on one another, and I would love to contribute to both circles in the dance industry. I would love to work with contemporary companies after graduation, dancing and performing on tour with them, and then my biggest goal is to open my own concert dance company, and choreograph. I am really developing a passion for choreography, and the act of creation is so fulfilling. I would love nothing more than to pursue that and use that as a platform for my voice and my artistic ideas. Along with this, I absolutely want to work on a tour with an artist, creating content for the hip hop world as well. Although I have a specific idea as to what direction I would like my career to develop in, I am so open to opportunities to move and create, and foster personal and artistic growth. Especially in the industry of the arts, this openness and willingness to adapt is so important, and I feel it should always be a consideration when developing your own career goals.

I hope this was interesting and comforting to you, to know that no one has the same journey to get to Juilliard, no one has to same journey to ‘success,’ or to achieving their goals. So keep this in mind, when applying to Juilliard and in the college admissions process. Have confidence in the path that you are on and that you are taking, and trust in your decisions and artistic vision.

Until next time!
Maddie

Then, Now, and Later

Then, Now, and Later

The Juilliard Neighborhood

The Juilliard Neighborhood