HOW DID I GET HERE?! AND WHERE AM I GOING?!

It's impossible that a day goes by and I don't think about how I got here. By "here", I generally mean "Juilliard" and "New York City", but I think about a lot of my past and blessings and how far they've gotten me in more ways than just Juilliard and NYC.

I was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. I've been singing for as long as I could remember. All the women in my family can sing, and I grew up in Baptist churches, so music was inescapable, in a way (especially being from New Orleans). Then somehow I got my hands on a drum set at age 6 and thought I was so good! When I got to middle school, I had to audition for drum set and quickly found out that I wasn't nearly as good as I thought I was. I couldn't even name the different parts of the drum set...

So, I got put on snare drum instead of a horn right away. Soon after though, my teacher, Keith Hart, came up to me one day after school and suggested I take up the trombone. It was probably because I couldn't manage to do a roll on snare...

But thankfully, trombone just seemed to stick. I picked up the tuba and euphonium along the way, and I can play a bit of piano, but trombone and singing are going to have to be my first two loves right now. To this day, Mr. Hart still doesn't know why exactly he put me on trombone, of all things. But that decision ended up taking me farther than I ever thought. If you'd have told 10 y/o me that I would be studying music at one of the most prestigious conservatories in the world, I probably wouldn't have believed you (mostly because I was set on being a math professor).

But there is also never a day that goes by that I don't think about where I'm headed and/or where I want to be. Ultimately, I want to be rich and famous. It's a long story to explain, but it's not as selfish a goal as it might let on. I also want to be the best musician and overall artist I can be. I want to make sure my family is comfortable and happy. I want to play music all around the world and inspire people to be successful.

From 4th Grade Opera Singer to Juilliard

THE UNIVERSE MOVES IN A CIRCLE

THE UNIVERSE MOVES IN A CIRCLE