Are You Up to Date?

Are You Up to Date?

Dear all, 

When you start your Juilliard career you will notice how the time here tends to pass seamlessly and days or even weeks go by without you even noticing them at all. Time management is a key skill that will save you a lot of headaches if you are good at it. Here are some tips on how not to end up in a fix:

1. Get a planner! (or manage in the cloud)
I can promise you that you will not get by without some sort of a datebook/planner/diary/journal/et&. I have an iPhone and use the built-in Calendar app which has been pretty efficient for the past three years. Every entry gets immediately shared through iCloud and thus I can access my schedule on many different platforms and pretty much any time I need to. 

2. Keep up to date!
As soon as you get a message with dates and times in it WRITE THEM DOWN! You will not be sorry! So many times it happened to me that I waited to put dates into my book until the end of the day and by then I had already scheduled conflicting appointments which resulted in a painful re-scheduling process. Save yourself a headache and be up to date. 

3. Factor in your life!
As days get busy we tend to forget about certain needs like eating, going to the bathroom, having to commute (not apparating yet…), et&. Before scheduling something always skim through your entire day and make sure that you will be OK getting everywhere on time without ripping yourself to pieces. 

4. Color code! 
Set up different colors for different kinds of events. It will help you to oversee whats happening when your days start looking like this: 

5. Set time apart, literally. 
If you know you need time to do something do put it in your calendar, so you will not overbook yourself. I always plan my practice time weeks ahead, so I know I won’t end up without enough time to get every note in my head and fingers on time. 

6. Learn to say NO, politely. 
Yes, sure, of course I can, oh that would be fun, suuuuuure! And suddenly you have not slept or eaten for days because there is just no time. No gig is worth driving yourself sick. Set yourself a limit and stick to it. If you end up too busy and get off your feet with a cold, you will feel a thousand times worse because of the stress of it all. Sometimes you just have to say no. 

I hope this this is helpful, please do comment and share your scheduling tips with us all! 

No, 

d a n

;)

Breathe, Stretch, Shake, Dance

Breathe, Stretch, Shake, Dance

Exams, Stress, Performances, Oh My!

Exams, Stress, Performances, Oh My!