The Classroom and the Stage

The Classroom and the Stage

This week was full of table work on Paradise Lost by Clifford Odets, learning the 5 Diphthongs of "R", and revelations about physicalizing the elusive breath support mechanism. It was our last full week before Thanksgiving, so we presented our American Regional Theater projects in our theater history class. I chose to present on Phoenix Theater, one of the oldest arts establishments in Arizona. It's only about 20 minutes from my family's house and I grew up performing in musicals there. Here's a pic from my presentation. That's my Dad and I in Children of Eden during the summer of 2000! 

Another week of hard work brought two opportunities to see my friends in action onstage. 

On Wednesday, I saw the Juilliard Opera production of Il Turco in Italia by Rossini. The singing was gorgeous and it was fun to see lots of my friends from undergrad up there on the main stage. It was a beautiful production directed by one of my favorite directors, John Giampietro. We worked on Don Giovanni together a couple of years ago at Chautauqua and I love his work. 

Here's the New York Times review of the production

RUBY WASHINGTON / THE NEW YORK TIMES

RUBY WASHINGTON / THE NEW YORK TIMES

And on Saturday, we saw members of Group 44 perform Angels in America, Part 1: Millennium Approaches by Tony Kushner. It is an incredible play and these wonderful actors completely did it justice. This play has a special history at Juilliard.

Here's a recent Juilliard Journal article about the play and this production: 

Photo by Jessica Katz, courtesy of the Juilliard Archives

For some fun on Friday night, we headed to The Players Club at Gramercy Park South. The Players Club is a famous hang-out for actors throughout the ages housed in a mansion that belonged to the great American stage actor Edwin Booth - brother of the infamous assassinator of Abe Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth. 

In 2012, I performed in a cross-divisional independent production of Sondheim's A Little Night Music. Several members of that cast were at the Players Club that night and we got a reunion photo. It was great to see all these friends under the same roof! 

Looking forward to the short week and Thanksgiving - my favorite holiday! 

Top 12 Free Things in New York

Top 12 Free Things in New York

Collaboration Between Divisions: ChoreoComp