Carnegie Hall Performance

Carnegie Hall Performance

When I first came to Juilliard I was told I probably wouldn’t play in the orchestra very much as a freshman (I’ve found this to be false!), so I decided to audition for New York Youth Symphony.

It’s a wonderful orchestra that rehearses once a week, and we play great repertoire.  It’s also very convenient that the hall we rehearse in is within walking distance of my dorm. Most of the wind players are college students from around the area like Juilliard, NYU, Columbia, Barnard, Manhattan School of Music, and Princeton. 

We perform in Carnegie Hall three times a year, and our first Carnegie performance was this past Sunday! We played Beethoven Egmont Overture, Rachmaninoff Variations on a Theme by Paganini, a new work by Cindy Giron, and Stravinsky Firebird.  I was especially excited to get to play Firebird because I’ve been working on that flute excerpt for a while!

Here are the principal woodwinds; we are all from Juilliard.  Coincidentally, we have known each other since before we came to school because we all went to Tanglewood together in 2012!

This is the flute section!

NEVER BROKE, OR BORED IN THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS: 10 FREE THINGS IN THE CITY

Top 12 Free Things in New York

Top 12 Free Things in New York