End of the Week: Work and Outings

End of the Week: Work and Outings

This week saw very productive work in our classes. In voice class on Thursday, we performed poems for each other that we've been working on all week. Selections included poetry by Shakespeare, Yeats, James Agee, Maya Angelou and Bianca Spriggs.  Here's a selfie of the happy MFAs after class:

Things went up from there - on Friday morning, our teacher Darryl took us out for breakfast, instead of the normal, grueling cardio workout. We enjoyed the coffee and pancakes a bit more than push-ups and crunches... 

On Saturday, a few of us went to cheer on our classmate Brittany's brother, who plays football for Columbia. We braved the cold for a few hours to enjoy a beautiful fall day outside. 

Saturday night was quiet. After some practicing at school, I worked out at the newly renovated gym in the Residence Hall then spent the evening at home working on material for tomorrow's activities. 

Sunday morning I went for an early morning jog in the park before a voice lesson with my teacher, Marlena Malas. She is a wonderful woman who has experienced so much and bears so much knowledge unto her students. It's a privilege to work with her and I'm grateful for her guidance. 

That afternoon, we did a first read through and rehearsal for a student-directed project of the great German play, "Woyzeck." The show is conceived, adapted, and directed by Stephanie, a second year actor. It's a cross-divisional project which will include actors, dancers and musicians. The cast is great and I'm thrilled to play the title role! More to come on this soon. 

Sunday concluded with tickets to the opening night of "The River" on Broadway, starring Hugh Jackman. My friend from undergrad is in the cast and it was great to see this intimate play up close. Sadly, no photos were allowed in the theater, so I don't have a selfie with Wolverine. 

Back to work!

Philip

Collaboration Between Divisions: ChoreoComp

Talent Show

Talent Show